Many have attempted to define and describe Franklin D. Roosevelt. To understand the enigma that was FDR one must examine the roots that were so firmly established in the Delano and Roosevelt families, and the rural nature of the mid-Hudson Valley and Dutchess County of the 19th century. The complexity of the man and the myth must be seen in relationship to the time, the place, and the people who provided his roots, roots that could withstand the political storms of the 20th century. FDR’s relationship to the world of the Hudson Valley and Dutchess County has often been ignored in favor of the more inclusive global frame of reference. This book examines the relationship of FDR to the residents of the Hudson Valley to explain the significance of that relationship to the private and public life of FDR. In this study the term “neighbor” refers to the aristocracy who lived on the estates on the East Bank of the Hudson, the citizens of Hyde Park, and the citizens of Dutchess County. From his first campaign in 1910 to his tragic death in 1945 he carried a perception of his neighbors that had a profound effect on his politics.
Slavery, Antislavery, and the Underground Railroad: A Dutchess County Guide, introduces reader to the story of slavery and freedom in Dutchess County, New York. The people of this county played unique and significant roles in the history of American slavery and abolitionism. The Hudson Valley made a more concentrated use of enslaved agricultural labor than almost any area in the North. The book is dedicated to uncovering this essential part of our past and placing local history in the broader contexts of racial slavery in the New World, the African American experience, and the legacies of antislavery today. The sites covered include two historic cemeteries, Friends Meeting Houses, churches, the sites of three free African American communities, and other historic sites. An introduction places the history of these locations in context and includes an overview of public antislavery activism, including the Mid-Hudson Antislavery Society and Poughkeepsie Antislavery Society.
All proceeds from the sale of this book go to support the work of the Mid-Hudson Antislavery History Project
At the town meeting of the Town of Williston, Vermont, on March 3, 1959, article thirty-three of the warning read: "Will the town vote a tax on the Grand List to pay for completing and publishing the Town History, and if so, how much?"
This history is the result of that vote. On June 7, 1763 Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire grant to Samuel Willis and sixty four others, 23,040 acres of land which would become the Town of Williston. On July 20th, 1764 the King of England ruled that the western bank of the Connecticut River would be the boundary between New Hampshire and New York. Thus the legally of the Vermont grants including Williston would remain cloudy until October 28, 1790, when the State of Vermont paid to the State of New York thirty thousand dollars for clear title for lands east of Lake Champlain and west of the Connecticut River.
For the first 200 years of its existence Williston played an important role in the history of Vermont, particularly early in its history as the town of the first Governor Thomas Chittenden. The story also treats the religious history of Williston extensively.
When The Williston Story was written, it was reviewed in Vermont History, Vol. XXIX, No. 3, July 1961.
Portions of the review note: “This is a readable book, well written, interesting and put out in attractive format. It is as different from the average town history as cheese from chalk.... all in all this is a compelling narrative told with humor and perception.... In the opinion of this reviewer they have succeeded in giving a systematic and brief treatment of the total history of Williston’s first two centuries."
Review written by William D. Hassett, Secretary to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from just after Pearl Harbor until Roosevelt’s death and burial in 1945.
This book was written as the College was celebrating fifty years of Excellence and Service to the residents of Dutchess County York. In the Fall of 1958 the college admitted 664 students (252 fulltime and 412 part-time). During this first fifty years four leaders provided guidance as President of the College – Dr. James Hall, Dr. John Connelly, Dr. Jerry Lee, and Dr. David Conklin.
On the occasion of its fiftieth anniversary there were ten academic departments and 60 degree and certificate programs. As the academic offerings expanded so did the physical plant. On this anniversary the campus encompasses 170 acres, 13 buildings and 323,799 square feet for academic programs. This book of celebration details the development not only of the physical plant and academic program but also the variety of student activities and the outreach and service to the larger community.
Out of print, a collectable item at this time.